Pages

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Burnin’ in Brisbane

Sitting on the roof top deck of the YHA in Brisbane, I watch the sun that burnt up the sky all day long finally burn the last of its rays into the westerly horizon.  The breeze is gently blowing, the river slowly flowing and the train whirs by squeaking and moaning, these are the sounds, sights and feels of the place I currently call home.  Home these days, is where ever I happen to lay my head to rest, even though I have always thought of home that way.

Ahh Brisbane, the place many have warned me about, I think has quite possibly stolen my heart...at least for the moment.  Its funny to think how easily it is to steal ones heart and all the good and crappy things that happen along the way to being stolen.  I’ve always been able to take a beating when falling in love, but looking at it from this perspective it seems quite silly and at the same time amazing! 

Since being in Australia, many folks have spoken ill words of this city of Brisbane, or BrisVegas as its known to the locals.  People have said its a boring place, there’s not much to do, there’s nothing there, don’t waste your time.  Quite frankly I have gotten sick of people sharing there opinions with me about places and things they like and don’t like.  I am not them and probably have very different interests than they have anyhow, so please keep your negativity to yourself, thank you. 

Ignoring the comments of acquaintances past, I have come to Brisbane with a clear head and a clean slate, ready for the next chapter of my adventure to begin.  I arrived on Saturday to be greeted by some familiar faces from Minneapolis at the airport.  My friend Martha was in town for her sister’s (who lives in Brisbane) wedding.  We went to the Australia Zoo, playground of Steve Irwin, for a peek at the wildlife that is found none other than Australia.  Sunday, we went to church, for a ferry ride on the Brisbane River and to Mt. Coot-tha to see an amazing view of the city.  It was a very nice to feel like part of an actual family for a couple of days.

Monday and Tuesday were the days that brought the pain. 

For some reason for the past week or so, I have not been able to get past Brisbane in my travel plans.  I decided that this meant, stay in Brisbane for awhile and see what happens.  If I stay in Brisbane that means only one thing, its time to start looking for a job, and that my friends is a scary thought for a girl who has been unemployed for about 3 and a half months!!

The job hunt began on Monday.  It was a bit brutal, but fun at the same time.  I’ve never heard the word no and been rejected so many times in one day and still felt....happy (I have to quote a sticker I saw today:  Happiness is a journey not a destination).  I did end up putting my resume or CV as they call it here, in at a couple of places (The Body Shop, Lush and a few cafe’s and coffee shops).  Hopefully I will stumble my way into a job soon.  Please keep that in your thoughts and prayers!

Brisbane has been burnin’ me in so many ways this week.  I’ve been burning calories like crazy from walking all over town, burnin’ up the road or blazing a trail :-)  The Brisbane sun has been burnin’ me up, not my skin, just my sweat glands, they have been very active (I know you were dyeing to know that!).  And I feel like my past blunders of this trip have been burnt away and melted down and are but distant memories now.  So on to bigger and better things in Brisbane, yay!

Tonight after a long day of job hunting and rejections, on my way back to the hostel it felt like I was on my way back to my mom’s house.  The reason being, I could smell her homemade chicken noodle soup the whole walk back.  It was as if it was God’s way of saying you are home here, welcome!

So, if all goes well, my next blog will be reporting that I have found a job and maybe even a flat to live in here in Brisbane.  And I will be able to join you all again back in reality, the wonderful world of the working class, but only for a couple of months ;)

Wishing you all the best, from the lovely land of BrisVegas!

Pictures:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=163655&id=662136690&l=279babb076

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=163653&id=662136690&l=69285982c3
  

No comments:

Post a Comment