Pages

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Dana's Gonna Be a Nanny!

The job hunt has finally paid off!  Taking a break from looking apparently helped.  I had been searching for over two weeks with nothing coming up at all.  It was starting to get a bit frustrating and depressing.  So I decided to wwoof for a week and see what happens.  Besides, my pocket book needed a break! 

It was nice to have internet access constantly at my hosts house.  So every once in awhile I would do a quick search on gumtree (similar to craigslist) and see what kind of jobs I could find on there.  I replied to a few, one happened to be a nanny position.  I wasn’t really expecting to hear back on that one, mainly because I have no written experience working with kids.

Well later that day I actually got an email response from Adrienne, mother of three, wanting to speak more on the topic of me helping her out.  We ended up speaking on the phone a couple days later and arranged a time to meet  her family.  I ended my wwoof-ing time on Sunday morning so I could be back in Brisbane on Monday to meet with Adrienne.

It is about a 45 minute bus ride to their house from where I was staying.  I hopped on the bus at about 8:30 in the morning to head out there.  Towards the end of my bus ride I noticed I had a missed call, so I checked my messages.  I had one from Adrienne saying that she was sick and thought it might be better to try another day, but if I was already on my way its okay still, I just wouldn’t see them in their best light. 

I started to get a little worried, since I was already on my way.  I felt a bit gutted about coming now. But I continued on my way and things went fine.  I don’t think I could have asked for a better set up.  Adrienne is super down to earth and laid back.  Her three kids Kurt-4 1/2, George-2 1/2 and Kate-8 mos. are absolutely a delight and adorable to boot!  She is a stay at home mom and her husband, Daniel, has his own business and works pretty long hours.  So she basically just needs some help with a little extra help with the kids and doing daily activities. 

I asked Adrienne if she was talking to other candidates for the position and when she was looking to make a decision.  She replied, “No, you are the only one.”  That just tickled me.  She just mentioned that I go home and think about if this is something I would like to do and get back to her in a day or two.  I will start on April 15th with a full time trial run to see how things go and how we get along.  I believe things will be fine :)

I will be living with the family and have my own room away from the kids, so a little privacy when I need alone time, (perfect!).  I work Monday - Friday loosely until 5:00.  Have the weekends to myself.  They have a car I get to use that is just for me.  I’ll keep you posted on how driving on the other side of the road goes!  Also, if the family travels at all, they will bring me with and pay for my accommodations and travel expenses too.  And I get paid weekly on top of it all!  I don’t think I could have asked for a better deal!

I never really expected to get a nanny job, but I think its going to be great.  I want to be a part of an Australian family and this is about as close as it gets.  I also wanted to get myself a little acclimated to being around kids on a daily basis...just incase I might decide to have some someday.  I thought it would be nice to have a little experience!

I’ll keep you posted on how things go!  Next week I am wwoofing at a new place for a week....I will be without internet for the entire week...should be an interesting challenge for me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment